2022 Agricultural Safety and Health Core Course – Educational Objectives
At the completion of the course, the participant should be able to:
- Describe the incidence and impact of injury and illness among agricultural workers.
- Identify the hazards associated with agricultural transportation activities, with emphasis on tractors, ATVs/UTVs, and public roadway use.
- Outline current issues in production agriculture that impact health and safety.
- Recognize lung and skin illnesses that occur as a result of agricultural activities and apply strategies for their prevention.
- Identify hazards to youth living and working on farms and apply methods of prevention.
- Recognize routes of disease transmission and methods to prevent infection.
- Identify hazards associated with livestock production and recommend prevention strategies.
- Describe agricultural work factors associated with psychosocial stress and how they impact health, safety, and well-being.
- Describe exposures to physical agents and their associated health effects experienced by agricultural workers.
- Identify emergency rescue methods appropriate to agricultural hazards and events.
- Explain what role healthcare providers can have in reducing injuries and illness in agricultural populations.
- Recognize risk factors for upper extremity and low back musculoskeletal disorders among agricultural workers.
- Recognize pesticide exposure scenarios and recommend methods to control exposure.
- Observe farm activities and identify potential risk factors for injury and illness.
- Identify medications which may increase risk of injury to farmers or those in agriculture.
- Identify the appropriate use and selection of personal protective equipment for protection from agricultural hazards.
- Apply the hierarchy of controls to mitigate agricultural hazards and to promote safety and health in agricultural communities.
- Describe characteristics of agricultural workers that affect prevention efforts.
- Summarize available evidence linking agricultural work and cancer outcomes.
- Describe techniques providers can incorporate into their practice to address the unique healthcare needs of rural communities.
If you have questions about course content, please contact Kay Mohling, MA.